So lately with all the marathon training I have been doing I have noticed that I am gradually loosing some muscle tone. Not in my legs so much but it my upper body, and a little definition in my calves(calf’s?). So I have decided to challenge myself to committing to at least three days a week of just strength training, I still want to do six days of cardio a week but on the days I am doing strength training I would like my cardio work to be done on the stairmaster or a bike ( or maybe even swimming?). I am really bad and following through with these type of challenges because I love to run so much and I find that I crave that more than strength training. My hopes are to eventually get to a spot in my life where I love both equally and find that I can find a healthy balance between marathon training and strength work.
I know I am not the only runner who struggles with getting in the right amount of strength work so if you have any suggestions I am all ear’s!
My game plan for the week:
- Monday: six mile trail run, Jillian Micheals when I get home (added strength training)
- Tuesday: three miles/ sixty minutes on stair climber or bike, Maybe body pump at the gym
- Wednesday: eight mile trail run
- Thursday: spin class and some weight training at the gym
- Friday: four trail miles, and some good stretching
- Saturday: twelve miles ( my last long run before my race)
- Sunday: Weight training, stair climber
It seems like a lot but I dropped down from the marathon to the half and I feel like since I have been running so far that the half should feel like a pretty standard run and that throwing in some extra strength training shouldn’t to any damage, but I could be wrong.
I hope you have a great Monday!